Saturday, June 21, 2008

More on how to not complain

I find that complaining begins in my head. Why do I think complaining thoughts? The truth is, it is because of what the apostle Paul calls "the sin that dwells in my members". In other words, this is a habit that I have developed and tolerated. But because Christ has made me a new person, I don't have to yield to critical or complaining thoughts about others, or myself, or God.

The article cited in our previous post suggested looking for solutions to problems instead of complaining and blaming. In addition to that, the disciple of Jesus can also replace complaining thoughts with thankfulness. "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." So Paul in Philippians 4:8. The work of taking every thought captive to obey Christ (II Cor. 10:5) begins with myself. It's such a better way to live.

No comments:

Blog Archive