Saturday, May 31, 2008

Prince Caspian

Jean and I liked this film of C.S. Lewis's story very much.  It has a maturity and an impact that the first film in the series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, did not, though it was certainly worth seeing.  

The cinematography in Prince Caspian draws in the viewer with striking scenery and intriguing close-ups of the story's characters.   The viewer follows the story line without difficulty. Several scenes are tense in a good way. The special Narnian characters are delightful (Trufflehunter the Badger), dignified and imposing (the Centaurs), and the Minotaurs are scary and courageous. There are surprises even for those who have read the books. A special hat tip to Trumpkin the dwarf!

But the deepest satisfaction comes from the playing out of the hard, real-life issues that the main characters have to deal with that are the heart of Lewis's work. The sense of Aslan's absence and indifference is one of these, and the pain of coming back to a Narnia that has changed since their first visit is another among several.

So yes, by all means go see it on the big screen and take everyone with you! I came away saying, "I would like to see that one again."

2 comments:

abcMe said...

I also really enjoyed this movie. Can't wait to go see it again!
I felt the Christian theme was clearer than in the first movie.
I liked how it was Edmund, the once traitor, that distroyed the White Witch when this time Peter was tempted.
For me Peter was a little hard to like until the end of the movie. I Love how the youngest child Lucy saw Aslan because she never lost the faith! And the reference to the other siblings as having to be “woken up."
Think about when Reepicheep
lost his tail he asked Aslan to restore it. When Aslan asks why Reepicheep responds by saying "I can eat and sleep and die for my King without one. But a tail is the honor and glory of a Mouse."
At first Aslan thinks he cares to much about his honor, but then he sees all his followers ready to take off their own tails if their Chief had to live without his! Aslan said they had great love for one another and made his tail grow back.
Sometimes when we pray we may ask for things that might not be needed or our motive might be wrong, but God may grant that prayer for another reason, Maybe to help others or just out of love.

Mark Farmer said...

Thank you for helping me remember some of the specifics which make the film so good.

One thing the last Reepicheep scene seems to be saying is that God cares not only about our eating and sleeping and serving him, but also for our "honor and glory". If we look out for the honor and glory of others, God will look out for ours, perhaps? As in I Samuel 2:30, "Those who honor me I will honor."

Blog Archive