Monday, January 24, 2011

The Jesus-Shaped Life

The Jesus-Shaped Life – Church 2011
Our goal as followers of Jesus is to become more and more like Christ, the image of God (Luke 6:40; Rom. 8:29; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 4:23-24; 1 John 3:2). Church is the place where we learn to love like Jesus. 
How does God get us there? God moves us through life in a way that follows the pattern of Jesus’ life (1 Peter 2:21).
The following itinerary of Jesus’ life can help us know where we are in the process of becoming like Christ. It can help us see what to do next. It roughly follows the course of Jesus’ life: baptism > wilderness temptations > calling the disciples > public ministry of teaching, healing and casting out demons > opposition from many sides > suffering and crucifixion > resurrection.
12 moves God uses to bring us into Jesus-shaped living – Learning to love like Jesus  
  1. I receive his Spirit who gives me power and his Word that tells me who I am, what my identity is as a child of God (Matt. 3:16-17; John 1:12). Move from feeling-based living to identity-based living. 
  2. I embrace and keep in mind the hope of the resurrection and restoration of all things that God has promised (Heb. 12:1-2; Eph. 1:9-10; Col. 1:16,20; Acts 3:21). Move from low aims (or none at all) to the highest aim.
  3. I gladly obey everything God says (Matt. 3:15; Phil. 2:7-8). Since (unlike Jesus - 1 Pet. 2:22) I have sinned, I repent of my sins – changing my heart and my life – by naming and admitting to God and to another person all my sins and character defects (Matt. 3:2,8; 1 John 1:9; James 5:16), and doing all I can to make things right (Luke 19:8). Move from being led by self and others to being led by to God.
  4. I recognize and deal decisively with every test and temptation in both their surface and deep aspects (Matt. 4:1-11). Move from passivity to decisiveness.
  5. I ask God daily for guidance and help, and in every decision and difficulty (Luke 6:12-13; John 5:19,30). Move from listening to self and others to listening to God.
  6. I choose and invest myself in a community that the Father gives me to share life with (John 17:9; Mark 3:14;  14:32-34). Move from a lone ranger to a do-it-together mindset.
  7. I minister life and blessing (help, hope, healing, deliverance, reconciliation) to others in Jesus’ name (John 14:12; 20:21; Matt. 10:7-8). Move from wanting to giving.
  8. I seek to know the Father, his heart, his ways and his purpose, more deeply and truly (Matt. 11:27; 5:43-48; John 17:3). Move from indifference to interest.
  9. I confront darkness in myself and in the world by spiritual, not worldly, means (John 1:5,9; 2 Cor. 10:3-5). Move from inaction to action.
  10. I embrace suffering and hardship that come my way in the confidence that God will bring good out of it (Heb. 5:8; Luke 22:42; 2 Cor. 12:9-10; Rom. 8:28-29). Move from fear to trust.
  11. I persevere, never giving up on God or giving in to darkness, even in death (Luke 9:51,62; Matt. 27:46; 2 Cor. 6:4). Move from weakness to strength in Christ.
  12. I forgive, in Christ’s name, all who have wronged me in any way, and do what is possible towards reconciliation (Mark 2:5; Luke 23:34). Move from bitterness and hardness to mercy.
These 12 “moves” are about becoming aware of how God is working and responding to and collaborating with him in our becoming fully alive. “The glory of God is a human being fully alive.” – Irenaeus, d. 202.
              Rev. Mark Farmer, American Baptist Church of Westerville, January 2011

No comments:

Blog Archive