Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My list of Jesus' words that convince me

Here is my (not) short list of words of Jesus that convince me that he is worth following. (“Convince” come from two Latin words that mean “conquer with.” So these are words with which I have been “conquered”):


  • “If you only love those who love you, what makes you different from anyone else?”
  • “Come you me, you that are burdened, and I will give you rest.”
  • “Do you want to be made whole?”
  • “Blessed are the poor in spirit, the grieving, the humble, those who hunger and thirst for things to be put right, the merciful, the pure in heart, the peacemakers, those who are mistreated for doing what is right.”
  • “I am the Resurrection and the Life. The one who trusts in me will never die.”
  • “Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not religious observances.’ For I came not to call those who have it all together, but those who have lost their way.”
  • “I have compassion on the crowd.”
  • “What will it profit someone if they gain the whole world and lose their soul?”
  • “Treat others the way you want them to treat you.”
  • “Truly I say to you, as you have done to the least of these, you did it to me.”
  • “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
  • “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
  • “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

No comments:

Blog Archive