Friday, April 24, 2009

Personal reflections on asking

It has been about ten years since I first read Dallas Willard's claim (see the last three posts below) that asking is the way God has given us in his kingdom to help each other meet Christ, grow in him and serve him. Putting it into practice has proven to be a significant challenge.

Here are some less-than-helpful things that I have found myself doing rather than asking someone to do something:
  • Expecting people to know what I would like them to do (How dumb is that?)
  • Complaining to someone else
  • Worrying about what is going to happen
  • Feeling frustrated
In other words, doing nothing constructive. How helpful is that?!

On the other hand, I find that the more I ask in the patient, considerate and respectful way that Willard describes, the more I find myself giving thanks for all that God has already done. I also find myself growing in appreciation for that person. And, of course, worrying less, complaining less, being much less frustrated.

Is your experience similar to this? A bit different?

No comments:

Blog Archive